Monday, November 3, 2008

This election breaks my heart. Everyone is being ripped apart by political views. I also can't help but be sick of overhearing all of these ignorant political conversations. I don't butt in and try to correct either side, or attempt to sway anyone in any particular direction.. all I can do is simply overhear and shake my head.. mainly because I don't want to contribute to any further dispute over these manners, but also because I honestly wouldn't feel confident enough to bring up an issue to try and defend.
The first election I am registered to vote for, and I say this with immense hesitation.. but I am not voting this year.
Before you jump down my throat, hear me out.
This is the first election in my time that I have done any research, what-so-ever, to try and figure out who my candidate of choice should be. I have yet to be satisfied. I realize that not even close to every single person going out to vote stands strong behind who they're voting for. A lot of people have described it as "choosing between the lesser of two evils".. and even though that's somewhat dramatic, I feel like I would be doing the same thing, but that doesn't feel right to me. I don't have a strong enough opinion for any candidate in this election, and I believe that I shouldn't vote for anyone but myself. The media and everyone I know is constantly telling me to "VOTE VOTE VOTE".. and I completely appreciate the compassion behind the idea, but I also think that this repeated demand forces some people to vote without much of an opinion.
I have only been eligible to vote one other time in my life, and I honestly didn't even think twice about it. I have unfortunately always been very UNinterested when it comes to politics.. and now that I'm learning and actually doing my research, that is why I have chosen not to vote. Not because I've maintained an ignorant point of view, but because I wouldn't feel right in my heart making such an important decision for my country that didn't even stand true.
I'm also not going to be one of those who complains once the election is complete. I feel that both Obama or McCain can contribute very positive efforts to the many problems we're facing right now. I've just found it too difficult to decide which issues were more important, or seemed to have a more realistic approach.
I've prayed and prayed and prayed about it, and I feel like this is what I'm most comfortable doing. The last thing I want to do is walk into that voting booth tomorrow and officially make my opinion count for something that even I, myself, don't support 100%.
So before I get ridiculed and beat up, I just wanted to be honest with everyone. I'm not sitting here lazy, un-informed or ignorant, just.. undecided. I want my vote to have passion behind it, and true support. Since it won't have either of those, I'm voting not to vote.

4 comments:

Jason # 2 said...

Beth, I am so sorry to hear that you won't be going to heaven (jk:). Seriously, that is actually refreshing to hear, since I do think there are many just voting because of pressure not only from the media, but from their own family, and in many cases they are just very poorly informed. I respect your opinion, and (as Sam said a few weeks ago) you are able to bring glory to Christ through your non-vote just as others of us (hopefully) will bring glory to Christ through our vote for a specific candidate. I really appreciate your thoughtful decision in this.

Sam said...

Bittems, great thoughts. Glad to know you have thought this through, and you are willing to be left behind:)

We all love you, and you should write more!

Unknown said...

good for you beth. for taking a stance and making the right decision for you. very encouraging to me!

Joshua Woods said...

Beth,

I'm happy to hear that I wasn't the only one who struggled over whether it was the right decision to vote this year. I'm glad you didn't just give in to the peer pressure and that you stood your ground.

Thanks for writing this.

Josh